The concept of using subconscious mind power techniques is rooted in the idea that our beliefs reside in the subconscious mind, and that changing those beliefs can therefore change who we are on the inside and out.
We all have stories that run through our head, and those stories are powered by our beliefs. Our beliefs trigger the actions which result in the habits that form the base of our health and well-being.
I’d like you take a moment and close your eyes. Picture your body. What do you see?
If you see an image that makes you unhappy then understand that this is the story of your body that you are telling yourself each and every day. Our brain, the most powerful computer in existence, takes these beliefs we have about ourselves as facts, and programs accordingly.
Our beliefs become hard-wired into our brains over time. The key to using subconscious mind power techniques resides in our ability to change those beliefs.
It is very easy to continue holding onto the same beliefs because they become hard-wired into the circuits of the brain, like a path. The more we think certain thoughts, the more habituated we become to thinking more of the same.
You can think of it like this: our mind circuits resemble a thick forest upon birth with endless possibilities for how to navigate that forest. Once we get ideas from the world that form our beliefs, we start to create paths in the circuitry of the brain. Because the paths get deeper over time, it becomes easiest to just take the same path over and over again and as we get older it becomes difficult to change our minds, and therefore our habits.
To keep the brain young and active, we must continually observe, evaluate and renew the ideas that form our belief system.
If you see an unhealthy and overweight person in your mind, it helps to ask yourself what beliefs you have about yourself that created this story. When did you first start believing that you were overweight? Was it a relative that told you to stop eating treats when you were young? Did kids at school tease you? Were you exposed to standard depictions of beauty perpetuated by the advertising industry at a time when you were vulnerable?
Getting clarity about your story
Here are some steps to bring your story into focus:
- Understand and accept that you write your own story, and shift the responsibility for your health from external factors and other people to yourself. This will give you power.
- Assess the plot of your story. Are you overweight because you don’t exercise or eat correctly? Change the plot then! If you believe that healthy foods don’t taste good, then change the foods in the story. If you hate running, then change the form of exercise to something you like.
- Define the ending of the story by creating clear and defined goals that are specific and measurable.
- Devise a new plot to the story. How will get to the end? What does it look like? Visualize this during your daily meditation.
- Step into your new character each and every day. Does the heroine/hero at the end of the story dress a certain way? Is their hair a certain style? What do their meals look like? Own this new identity.
The above steps are based upon ideas about rewiring the circuitry in your brain and this is the idea behind using subconscious mind power techniques to change your body. Taking the time out to write these ideas by hand in a journal is a very effective way to implement the changes in the subconscious mind that will make your goals easier to achieve.